Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership Tariff (CPTPP) Agreement- what countries are included?

The CPTPP is a free trade agreement between Canada, Australia, Brunei, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam. The CPTPP enters into force on December 30, 2018 between the first six countries to have ratified the Agreement: Canada, Australia, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, and Singapore.
The CPTPP will result in comprehensive tariff elimination across all sectors. Once fully implemented, 99% of tariff lines among CPTPP parties will be duty-free.

Why use a customs broker when I can clear imports myself ?

You should be able to do the clearance yourself if you allocate sufficient time and effort into the process, however there are a few factors to consider:

– A customs broker will ensure that the importer is compliant with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) regulations

– A customs broker will assist the importer with Customs tariff, applicable tariff treatments and Other Government Departments requirements

– A customs broker will work with the suppliers making sure that preferential regimes are utilized and the importer is supplied with the necessary certificates to legally obtain the lowers duty rate possible

– A customs broker role is essential for the timely delivery of goods

– The importer does not need to drive to the warehouse facility where the goods are awaiting clearance, take the documents to Customs and wait for the officers to process the shipment

– The importer does not have to worry about filling out all the required CBSA forms

– Customs brokerage fees are more than reasonable and constitute a fraction of the importing cost.

I’m a Canadian importer and having a coming shipment from the States. Goods were originated in US.Can I issue & sign a NAFTA Certificate myself as I know all information.

NAFTA Certificate (Form B232 ) or NAFTA Statement of Origin (for goods less than CAD 2500) can be issued & signed by Exporter or voluntarily by the producer (for use by the exporter) from the US’ side.
In you case please ask your US vendor/exporter to do it.You cannot issue a NAFTA as you are not having information about preference criteria.

Please advise the difference between the Certificate of Origin Form A and Exporter’s Statement of Origin.

The exporter in the country where the goods were finished issues Form A, Certificate of Origin (for goods more than CAD 2500), or the Exporter’s Statement of Origin (for goods less than CAD 2500). Either may be used to support a claim for preferential treatment for goods imported under the General Preferential Tariff (GPT), Commonwealth Caribbean Countries Tariff (CCCT), and, with the exception of textile and apparel goods, the Least Developed Country Tariff (LDCT).

The Form A and the Exporter’s Statement of Origin must be completed in English or French.

For more information, see D11-4-4, Rules of Origin Respecting the General Preferential Tariff and Least Developed Country Tariff, and D11-4-5, Rules of Origin Respecting Caribbean.

Many people say that U.S. citizens need a passport to drive into Canada, but I’ve read that this is not true. Could you set the record straight ?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you. For more information, consult the publication called Visitors to Canada and Other Temporary Residents on the CBSA Web site.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Web site at for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

What are my personal exemptions ?

If you have been outside Canada for:

Less than 24 hours, Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers;24 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$200 worth of goods free of duty and tax;If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full applicable duties and taxes on all goods you bring in.

48 hours or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax; Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco.

7 days or more, you can bring in CAN$800 worth of goods free of duty and tax. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

Young children and infants are also entitled to a personal exemption. As a parent or guardian, you can make a declaration to the CBSA for a child as long as the goods you are declaring are for the child’s use. Children are not entitled to alcohol or tobacco exemptions.You should have all purchases made abroad and your receipts readily available.