The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) are now in force (15/01/2019).

These regulations require most food businesses to have a Safe Food for Canadians (SFC) licence to import, export or send food across provincial and territorial boundaries.
When filling out the application for your licence, you will have to indicate what foods you want your licence to cover. You will be asked to choose from a list of food categories and activities. It is important to select the correct category/commodity that reflects your food product(s).
CFIA has advised that those who hold current non-SFCR licences to import may indicate their current licence number when requesting release of goods. Release requests will not be rejected when a non-SFCR licence number is indicated. CFIA has also advised that AIRS will be updated to include this information.