Argo Customs Brokers is dedicated to maintaining clear communication with their customers and those who wish to keep themselves informed about important importing and exporting regulations. As such, we present pertinent points from a news release issued by the Canada Border Services Agency.
As of February 28, 2023, Advance Declaration was made available to all travellers arriving on international flights at the Ottawa International Airport (YOW) and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ). Express lanes are also available in both airports’ customs areas, allowing travellers who complete their Advance Declaration to skip long line-ups at the Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK).
The Advance Declaration provides travellers with the option to submit their customs and immigration declaration, using the ArriveCAN app, up to 72 hours in advance of their arrival in Canada. Travellers can now spend less time at PIKs when they arrive at the airport, resulting in shorter wait times at the border.
In an effort to modernize and expedite the travel experience, Advance Declaration has already been implemented for travellers arriving on international flights at the following Canadian airports:
- Toronto Pearson
- Winnipeg Richardson
- Halifax Stanfield
- Québec City Jean-Lesage
The digital tool will also become available to travellers arriving at Edmonton International Airport in the coming weeks.
Advance Declaration is part of CBSA’s Traveller Modernization Initiative, which is being implemented over the coming years. Modernizing the travel experience includes the use of digital technologies and tools for both travellers and border service officers.
|“With Advance Declaration and express lanes now available at Billy Bishop Toronto City and Ottawa International Airports, we are keeping our border secure while providing a better and faster experience for travellers. This is another example of how the CBSA is modernizing the border, and we are happy to be working with Ports Toronto and Ottawa International Airport Authority to make this option available to travellers.” –Eric Lapierre, Regional Director General, Northern Ontario Region, CBSA and Lisa Janes, Regional Director General, Greater Toronto Area Region, CBSA|
- Early usage data shows that using the Advance Declaration feature in ArriveCAN cuts the amount of time a traveller spends at a PIK or eGate by roughly one third.
- A traveller can submit a customs and immigration declaration at any point within 72 hours before their arrival in Canada. Travellers can also edit their declaration, if needed, at the airport kiosk once they arrive. The declaration is not finalized until it has been confirmed at the airport kiosk.
- Personal information provided by travellers through ArriveCAN is protected under the Privacy Act. For more information, see the ArriveCAN privacy notice. Advance CBSA Declaration has an additional privacy notice that is presented to users upon accessing the feature. It offers end-to-end encryption for information the traveller transmits to the CBSA in advance of their arrival in Canada.
- Advance CBSA Declaration
- Video: Advance CBSA Declaration
- I Declare: A Guide for residents returning to Canada
- Video: Traveller Modernization
Argo Customs Brokers Is Available to Assist
If you or your company are affected by these new regulations, ARGO Customs Brokers would be happy to speak with you about how they may apply. The team at Argo Customs Brokers is always available to answer questions and can help you understand the effect that these regulations may have on your plans. All inquiries are welcome.