Hand Carried Goods Release for driven Canadian-registered vehicles.

When Canadian registered vehicles and goods contained therein are driven to Canada by a service provider, the registrant (who is considered the importer/owner of the vehicle/goods), may utilize the services of a licensed customs broker to account for / request release of the goods. A driver arranged by a service provider, e.g. drive-away company, may not (verbally) account / request release.

Action Required

If the importer/owner of the vehicle/goods is not present to verbally account, they may appoint a broker to act on their behalf. In this case:

An EDI PARS (SO125) will be transmitted to the CBSA in advance of arrival;
The hand carried goods release process (HCGH carrier code) will be used;
No eManifest data or lead sheet is required;
Transport Canada requirements do not apply to Canadian registered vehicles;
One invoice line will be used for the vehicle (Canadian goods returning);
Additional invoice lines will be used for any other goods in the vehicle;
The driver and any personal goods they own will be processed separately.
A carrier code is not required when the vehicle is driven by a driver arranged through a commercial drive-away company. A carrier code is only required when vehicles are transported on or in a commercial transport company’s conveyance and therefore requiring the carrier to submit electronic cargo and conveyance data.