Documentation of Goods for Temporary Exportation

ARGO Calgary Customs Brokers: Canadian residents may temporarily export personal effects for use on trips abroad. On returning to Canada, it is the individual’s responsibility to establish that such items were initially taken out of Canada and were not acquired abroad. To assist individuals in meeting this requirement, certain goods may be documented on an identification card before leaving Canada. At the time of reimportation, the border services officers will accept this identification card as satisfactory evidence of the origin of the goods. This procedure is optional and is provided free of charge at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Personal effects subject to temporary exportation may be presented for identification at a CBSA office any time prior to the individual’s departure from Canada. A border services officer will examine and identify the goods prior to exportation. The articles will be documented on a wallet-sized card called Form BSF407 (formerly Y38), Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation. The individual will then be asked to sign the declaration on the front of Form BSF407, certifying that the goods listed were, to the best of his or her knowledge, either produced in Canada or lawfully imported into Canada. Individuals are not required to produce sales receipts or other proof of lawful purchase or importation when issuing Form BSF407.