Duty & Tax Calculator
PARS Check
Setup Account

Forms: NAFTA Certificate, Statement, Exporter...

Each shipment must be supplied with a commercial invoice or Canada Customs invoice. If the goods are dutiable a NAFTA Certificate of Origin is needed for duty exemption for commercial shipments. It is the responsibility of the exporter (vendor) to issue and supply these documents.

Note for Canadian importers:
Please direct your US vendors to this page where they can download the forms.
If they have any questions regarding the documents, they are welcome to contact us directly.

Canada Customs Invoice

Required if commercial invoice is missing. The invoice can be prepared either by the exporter/importer or their agents.

NAFTA Certificate of Origin

The NAFTA Certificate of Origin is used by Canada, Mexico, and the United States, including Puerto Rico, to determine if goods imported into their countries receive reduced or eliminated duty as specified by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The NAFTA Certificate of Origin must be attached to an Invoice if the shipment is valued at greater than $2,500 (Canadian dollars).

NAFTA Statement of Origin for LVS

NAFTA "LOW VALUE" ORIGIN STATEMENT, is used where goods are valued at less than $2500,00 Canadian, the formal Certificate of Origin is not required. Instead, the exporter or producer may provide a statement in the form outlined below.

This "Low Value" statement may be handwritten, stamped, or typed on the actual invoice for which preferential NAFTA rates are being claimed.

Exporter Statement of Origin

The following statement should be completed if the shipment is valued at less than $2,500 (Canadian dollars) and signed by the Exporter in the beneficiary country where the goods were completed, and should be printed either on the Exporter's letterhead or on the commercial invoice for the shipment to which it relates. For the purposes of the General Preferential Tariff, not less than 60% of the ex-factory price of the goods must originate in one or more of GPT beneficiary countries or Canada.

Permission for Special Purpose

The Regional Director General of CBSA may authorize a Form C6 in certain cases, such as to allow an importer or customs broker to open a parcel in a warehouse to get documents that are needed to release goods. The importer or customs broker should state on the form why permission is required before submitting it to the local CBSA office.

Before Importing or Exporting Commercial Goods into Canada you have to obtain your Import/Export Business Number from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
For an import-export (RM) account:

Call 1-800-959-5525 or Use Business Registration Online (BRO)

Will be the same as your BN with extension RM0001.
Sample: 123456789RM0001